What is Asperger Syndrome Disorder? click HERE

Monday, November 24, 2008

November 2008

It has a topsy turvey month. Three times Jacob has had to meet with the School Psychologist, and the last two weeks he has not very productive at school.
One incident was when Jacob was on the playground and he made gun action with his fingers and asked another kid if he was of a few different countries. There were 2 times in 3 days when Jake drew a ninja, and put the word "death" underneath. Yet another time was when another child was making sexually suggestive movements with his hands and changing words to a song. Jacob was laughing at him for awhile, but then he told a teacher what was happening. All three incidents he did not get "in trouble", but he had to be interviewed by the school psychologist to make sure he was not a threat to himself or others, had to speak to the principal, and sternly spoke to. Thank God for the resource room teacher, because she knows Jacob very well, and knows that he would not hurt any one so the issues did not go any further. Basically he really didn't understand the impact of his actions. But 3 times in 1 month!! This has been a stressful time for me, every time the phone rings I cringe hoping its not a call from the school.
Jacob also had some issues with other children on the bus. A few times he has come home crying, stating he does not want to ride the bus anymore.
Last month he had complained about the radio on the bus, that the driver turned it up way too loud. His resource room teacher thinks that he is just "done" at the end of the day, and it is too stimulating for him. I agree. But I want to keep him on the bus-so he can figure out how to deal with the noise, children, etc......we will see.
Besides socially, Jacob has been unproductive academically. Don't know what has changed, why all this disarray. All I can do is take one day at a time.

1 comment:

jazzygal said...

Hi,I've just come across your blog and felt I had to say "Hi".

It is indeed so hard to have a child on the wide and varied spectrum that is Autism. Hard for the child more so. Particularly when they're "good enough" (if you know what I mean) to attend mainstream and they appear to be so "normal". I hate using the word normal but you know what I mean.

The incidences you describe are tough....that's when they stand out from their peers and no-one can understand why they "see" the same situation so differently. You are right to raise awareness of this condition. It is a cause close to my heart.

My 9 year old boy is somewhere on the spectrum. He has improved dramatically, with interventions, over the last 4 years. I have blogged about my experiences dealing with this condition in Ireland. Don't get me started on waiting in line for Psychologists etc, etc!! Makes my blood boil!

WHAT IS ASPERGERS SYNDROME?
http://myaspergerschild.blogspot.com/


WHERE TO GET HELP--TREATMENTS--ETC.
http://myaspergerschild3.blogspot.com/